KBL Playoffs - KT Win Double Overtime Thriller to Advance to Semifinals
It took six quarters, but the KT Sonic Boom pulled out an impressive 98-92 win against Incheon to win the series with ET Land.
BUSAN, South Korea - The KT Sonic Boom advanced to the semi-finals of the Korean Basketball League with a dramatic 98-92 double overtime win over the Inchon ET Land Elephants.
Charles Rhodes scored 29 points and added 22 rebounds, and Park Sang-oh led KT down the stretch with 25 points as the Sonic Boom won the tough best of five series three games to two. Yang Woo-weub also added 20 points, while starter Song Young-jin missed the game due to a leg injury.
"Good teams close it out. We don't have enough rest, but ya know, we got a little bit of rest but it's the notebook to our season," Rhodes said after the game.
Kang Hyuk scored 24 points including six three's, and Herbert Hill added 22 points and 19 rebounds in the defeat.
"It's how the series was. KT won, but we fought hard, but it's tough to win when it's five on eight," said Hill after the game.
KT jumped out to an early 25-13 lead, as Incheon struggled to find their shot, shooting 33% for the first quarter.
Back-to-back three pointers by Yang Woo-seub and Park Sang-ho gave KT an early 18 point advantage in the second, as KT led 36-18 three minutes into the second. Herbert Hill's basket with 3:50 to go cut the lead to 12.
KT was plagued with turnovers and missed six of their first seven shots to start the second, while Incheon opened the second half on a 10-2 run to cut the lead to two, with 5:01 left in the third. KT managed to only 27% from the field in the third compared to Incheon's 56% in the second.
Shin Gi-sung's three pointer with 2:06 remaining gave Incheon their first lead since the first basket at 69-68. Aftern Rhodes split a pair of free throws to tie the score at 71 with 25 seconds left, Moon Tae-Jong went for the win, but it fell short and Kang Hyuk couldn't put back the rebound forcing overtime.
"I had a chance to win it at regulation, I should have taken a better shot," said Moon Tae-jong.
After both teams traded two three's apiece, Incheon grabbed a four point lead, until Yang Woo-seub hit a jumper with 30.7 seconds left, Rhodes desperation tip-in off a Park Sang-oh three as time expired sent the game into double overtime.
KT raced out to an 8-2 run to start second overtime, as Incheon missed six of seven shots to start the quarter. After Rhodes fouled out with 1:14 left, KT hit seven of eight free throws to ice the game.
KT now goes on the play second place Anyang KGC, with the series tipping off tomorrow at 3 in Anyang.
Read more from Staff
More from this author
- UPDATE: Third Officer, Not Captain at the Helm of Korean Ferry When Accident Occurred April 2014
- Busan International Motor Show Ticketing Begins April 2014
- Many Festivals and Events Canceled or Delayed Due to Ship Accident April 2014
- ArtShow Busan Underway at BEXCO this Weekend April 2014
- President Park Visits Shipwreck Site, Families of Passengers April 2014
- Haps Weekend Picks April 18,19,20 April 2014
- Ship Captain Apologizes, Under Investigation for Negligence April 2014
- Busan Hang Bridge Lighting Opening Postponed April 2014
- 8 Confirmed Killed, 288 Still Missing as Search Continues in Day 2 April 2014
- South Korean Ferry Passengers Advised to `Stay Still` Though Ship was Already Sinking [VIDEO] April 2014
- 10th Annual Gadeokdo Flathead Mullet Festival to be Held April 25th April 2014
- UPDATE: Four Dead, Nearly 300 Still Missing in Ferry Accident April 2014
- KBO's Version of Cy Young Award to Begin this Year April 2014
- Rescue Underway for Sinking South Korean Ship Carrying 320 High School Students April 2014
- Haeundae Bicycle Service Center Reopened for 2014 April 2014
- "Baby Box" Project Fails Due to Opposition April 2014
- Suspended Olympic Badminton Champion Reinstated April 2014
- eFM Radio to Host Multicultural Children's Choir Contest April 2014
- Busan Citizen's Park Temporarily Opens for Three Day Run April 2014
- Yeongdo Culture Center to Host European Performances April 2014
- Jinhae Cherry Blossom Festival Attracts Over 3 Million Visitors April 2014
- Lotus Lantern Festival's Set for April, May April 2014
- Coming of Age Ceremony Set for May 2 April 2014
- Korea Laying out Large Welcome Mat for Incoming Medical Tourists April 2014
- Beautyvelo Spinning: Get Yourself into Great Shape for Spring April 2014
- Government Looks to Get Tough on Child Abusers April 2014
- Cruise Ship Tourists Rise Dramatically in Q1 April 2014
- 3rd Nakdong Riverside Yuchae Flower Festival Underway This Weekend April 2014
- Indian Film Festival Held at the BCC This Weekend April 2014
- Sledding Slope Opened at the Hwamyeong Outdoor Swimming Pool April 2014
- International Animal Protection Groups to Visit Gupo Dog Market April 2014
- BIFF Unveils Official Poster for 2014 April 2014
- Busan Population Over 15 Increases Slightly April 2014
- Korea Customs to Ease Clearance Time on Low Cost Foreign Consumption Goods April 2014
- 23-Year-Old Abducted Korean Woman Found Dead in Manila April 2014
- Busan Establishes Friendship City Ties with Nagasaki Prefecture April 2014
- UN Peace Park to Hold Spring Flower Festival from April 28 April 2014
- Four Arrested in Huge Smartphone Theft Ring April 2014
- South Korea and Australia Agree to FTA, Security Cooperation April 2014
- 11th Busan International Performing Arts Festival to Be Held from May 2 - 11 April 2014
- Busan Civic Park to be Designated Non-Smoking April 2014
- Free Kayak Experience to Be Offered at Three City Locations April 2014
- Big Fire Knocks Out Power in Gangseo-gu April 2014
- Seon Yeon-jae Earns Four Titles at World Cup Event April 2014
- Art Show Busan Kicks Off April 18th April 2014
- Police to Crackdown on Speeding, Drinking and Driving April 2014
- 3rd Annual Rape Flower Fest to be Held April 17-20 April 2014
- Paul McCartney Tickets Go on Sale This Week April 2014
- South Korean World Cup Squad Nearly Set April 2014
- Shinsegae Duty Free Opens at Gimhae Airport April 2014
- Hotel Fire Sends 48 to Hospital April 2014
- Giants to Take on Samsung in Ulsan April 2014
- Busan to Host Korea vs. India Davis Cup Action this Weekend April 2014
- April Festivals Feature Local Delicacies April 2014
- NC Dinos Plan Opening Events for Fans April 2014
- Number of Overseas Medical Tourists Reaches Record High April 2014
- Jinhae Naval Port Festival Begins its 10 Day Run April 2014
- Hilton Busan Hotel and Ananti Penthouse Break Ground in East Busan Tourism Complex April 2014
- Choo Shin-soo Hitless in Texas Rangers Debut April 2014
- North Korea to Host 2024 Summer Games. Promises Best Since the Greeks April 2014
- Strongest Earthquake in a Decade Hits Off the West Coast of Korea April 2014
- Busan International Motor Show Set for May 30 April 2014
- MOJ Toughens F-6 Visa Requirements April 2014
- Best Sites to see Flowers in Bloom this Spring March 2014
- Oryukdo Skywalk Gaining Popularity March 2014
- Former Haeundae, Songjeong Stations to Become Public Art Spaces March 2014
- Korean Women`s Curling Team Quit Over Verbal, Financial Abuse March 2014
- Lufthansa Stops Service from Gimhae Airport March 2014
- Bukhang Bridge to Open April 11th March 2014
- Average Yearly Education Expense Rises to Nearly Four Million Won Per Child March 2014
- 10th Busan Urban Farming Fair Kicks Off at BEXCO March 2014
- City to Host Contest to Name New Park Gates March 2014
- LG Sweeps KT to Advance to KBL Finals March 2014
- 17 Charged for Corruption in Ancient Capital Gate Restoration March 2014
- South Korea Draws Host Australia in 2015 AFC Cup March 2014
- Veteran Park Jin-man Ready for 19th KBO Season March 2014
- Gimhae Airport Immigration Officials Confiscate Over 400 Fake Passports March 2014
- Culture Day Discounts For March 26 March 2014
- 31st BISFF Reveals its Official Poster and 53 Final Films for ‘Official International Competition’ March 2014
- Former President's Residence to Be Open to the Public March 2014
- Foreign Medical Tourism Booming in Busan March 2014
- Chinese Investments Continue to Grow Around Busan March 2014
- BTC to Tackle Subway Fare Evasion Problem March 2014
- Jinhae Naval Port Festival Among Many Scheduled Around Gyeongnam Region this Spring March 2014
- Bicycle Riding Festival to Be Held on Gwangan Bridge April 20 March 2014
- City Launches New Chinese and Japanese Social Media Sites March 2014
- 10th Urban Agriculture Exhibition in Busan March 2014
- SK Telecom Apologizes For Last Night`s Service Failure to 20 Million Customers March 2014
- South Korea Fails to Gain Top Seed for 2015 AFC March 2014
- Busan International Foreign School Readies for TEDx Youth April 19th March 2014
- 2014 Nationwide Cherry Blossom Blooming Date Forecast March 2014
- The Big Catch: Fishing in Busan March 2014
- Busan Police Solve Decade-Old Rape Case March 2014
- 2014 Hallyu Culture Class Monthly Schedule March 2014
- Korea’s ‘Montmartre’ alive with arts, culture March 2014
- Gwangju Woman Kills Boyfriend Over Porn Addiction March 2014
- Star Studded Cast to Join Kim Yu-na's Final Ice Show March 2014
- Foreign Casino Operator Given Preliminary Approval for South Korean Casino March 2014
- 韩国气象厅报道2014年樱花开花时间预测资料 March 2014